Know the correct way to clean ears!
Have you ever been told by your doctor that the smallest object you are allowed to put in their ear is your elbow? There is actually true method in the madness.
Here are a few pointers to help you better understand the do’s and dont’s of taking care of your ears:
- Don’t over-clean ears.
- Scientific literature warns against gimmicky treatments such as ear candling.
- Don’t clean too frequently, as it can strip the ear canal of protective oils and dehydrate the delicate lining, leaving the ear vulnerable to infections.
- Do not clean the inside of the ear with any object such as a cotton bud for example.
- Don’t get chemicals such as hairspray in the ear.
- Don’t submerge the head under water in hot tubs and Jacuzzis
- Don’t smoke with children in the house or car. Ear infections are more common in children who are exposed to secondary smoke.
- Don’t let a baby lie down when drinking a bottle.
- On average cleaning every two to four weeks is sufficient, but my vary from individual to individual.
- Utilise a cotton swab or damp cloth to clean the outside parts of the ear to gently wipe away loose earwax and debris.
- If there is ongoing earache, frequent tinnitus or hearing difficulties, a healthcare professional must always be consulted.
- Respect the nature and functionality of natural ear wax.
- Wash hands often with soap and water.
- Get rid of the pacifier. Babies using a pacifier after 12 months old have an increased risk for developing ear infection.
- Make use of Silverlab SPORT’S formulated Swimmers Ear drops with Silver Repair™ to relieve and prevent otitis externa and swimmer’s ear through its anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antibacterial Position head with one ear facing upwards and place 8 drops of Liquid into the ear. For best results, hold this position for 2 minutes or more before draining the contents of the ear onto a tissue. Repeat for other ear and let the ear canals dry. Repeat entire process up to 4 times per day as necessary. For trapped water, debris or crustiness, repeat the above process immediately.
Silverlab SPORT Swimmers Ear drops available at leading pharmacies, health shops and Takealot.com